May 18 Foundation Declaration
- Gwangju revives. May revives.
- The May 18 Memorial Foundation was established in order to develop our nation by remembering the spirit of struggle and solidarity of the May 18 Uprising.
- With many obstacles, the foundation finally kicked off and promised to do active projects to share and remember the spirit of struggle and solidarity of the uprising. May means a sacrifice for us rather than an unhealed wound. May is history that is to be remembered not only for the victims of the May 18 Democratization Movement but also for all citizens in Korea. In addition,
people need to learn the May Spirit from a realistic perspective in order to spread the Spirit to the world. In this espect, the May 18 Memorial Foundation was established to do various projects related to the May 18 Democratization Movement such as commemorative, scholarship, research, culture, and publication projects.
- The victims and bereaved families of the Movement feel shameful about the past when the history was distorted.
- In this context, they commit to restoring the May Spirit in 1980 on behalf of the victims of the movement. The foundation revives the sacrifice of the victims.The victims would be happy in heaven.